Saturday, April 7, 2012

“I Can’t Believe it’s Vegan” Peanut Butter Snickerdoodles



“I Can’t Believe it’s Vegan” Peanut Butter Snickerdoodles 





I absolutely love snickerdoodles. There’s just something magical about them, because if you think about it, sugar cookies are nothing too spectacular, at least in my opinion. And snickerdoodle dough is really similar to a sugar cookie dough, the main difference being that it has cream of tartar (or baking soda and vinegar in this recipe’s case, since I didn’t have cream of tartar). And a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon just wouldn’t have the magic of a snickerdoodle. 

Anyways, last week I was in a bit of snickerdoodle phase, because I love them so much and hadn’t made them in a while. So, I made a snickerdoodle cake, chai snickerdoodles, and these amazing vegan peanut butter snickerdoodles. I can honestly say these were by far the best of all of my snickerdoodle creations. And believe me that’s saying a lot for me, because I generally think vegan baked goods tend to be a bit inferior. I combined elements of my favorite snickerdoodle and peanut butter cookie recipes, getting it to the point where the only substitution I had to do was for the egg, which I did using the water, oil, and baking powder. 

Using this recipe, vegans and non-vegans alike can enjoy amazing peanut butter snickerdoodles! 


Ingredients: 

Cookie dough: 

2 tsp vanilla 

2/3 cup flour 

1 1/3 cups peanut butter 

1 1/2 cups sugar 

3 tsp vinegar, 2 tsp baking soda 

3 tbsp water 

1 ½ tbsp oil 

1 ½ tsp baking powder 

Cinnamon sugar mixture: ¼ cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon 

Directions: 

1. Mix vanilla, flour, peanut butter, and sugar 


2. Add baking soda and then add vinegar on top, so you can see the fun chemical reaction that occurs! 
3. Add in water, oil, and baking powder 

4. Chill dough in freezer for half an hour 

5. Mix up the cinnamon-sugar mixture in a bowl 

6. Preheat oven to 375 

7. Grease a cookie sheet 

8. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture 


9. Cook for 10 minutes.

10. Let cookies cool for 5-10ish minutes.
11. Enjoy!


I never thought I'd say this, but it really IS possible to make amazing vegan baked goods that don't taste vegan at all. So, don't give up if your first attempts at vegan baking are less than successful, some recipes are  super easy to convert to vegan without sacrificing deliciousness.


Happy Passover and Easter to those who celebrate, and when in doubt, bake!
<3 Dena


P.S. My apologies to those keeping kosher for Passover for posting this when you can't eat it. If it's any consolation, it's killing me too!

1 comment:

  1. For some reason I only make snickerdoodles around Christmas. But I could be enjoying them year round. What?! The kids would go crazy for this peanut butter version. YUM!

    ReplyDelete