Friday, March 2, 2012

Maple Chocolate Chip Cornbread Pudding

Maple Chocolate Chip Cornbread Pudding


Having lived in the South essentially my entire life, I have very high standards for my cornbread. And a few weeks ago when I made some, it just didn't measure up. The flavor was fine, but it was too dry. So rather than allow my friends to eat mediocre cornbread, I decided I would use it to make something better. I tried to think of things I could use it for, when I remembered that often people use dry bread in bread pudding. So, I made bread pudding out of my failed cornbread, and since I don't like raisins, I used chocolate chips instead. Here's how you can replicate this wonderful creation:


Ingredients
About 4 cups of cornbread cubes/ 1-inchish pieces (cubing it can be hard) 
2 1/4 cups whole milk or cream
3 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. First, grease a loaf pan, get out a cookie sheet, and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

2. Put the cubes of cornbread on the cookie sheet and toast them in the oven for 15 minutes.

3. While the cornbread is toasting in the oven, you can mix all the other ingredients together. No special order, just mix them all up in a bowl.

4. Next layer the cornbread cubes and the pudding mixture in the loaf pan, alternating. 


5. Let it sit in the loaf pan for 15 minutes, so the cornbread can soak up the pudding mixture.
6. Turn up the oven to 350.
7. Put it in the oven for about 60 minutes, or until the top and sides look toasted and golden, as shown in the picture at the top of the post. 
8. Let it cool for 10ish minutes
9. Eat it! Serve with ice cream on top to make it extra-awesome!

Sometimes in life, you have to make cornbread pudding out of dry cornbread...and when it doubt, bake!
<3 Dena

No comments:

Post a Comment