Thursday, December 27, 2012

Copycat Jim N Nicks Cheese Biscuits


Copycat Jim N Nicks Cheese Biscuits 

Yesterday, I tried Jim N Nicks cheese “biscuits” for the first time and they changed my life forever. Those quotations were necessary because these things are nothing like any other biscuit you’ve ever had. They’re more like cheesy cornbread with a biscuit-y top. I woke up this morning with an urge to bake, and decided to recreate them. As a first step, I examined several copycat recipes for them. I looked at every single website on my first page of Google search results and something very obvious struck me about all of these recipes. And that was that they were all wrong. Not one of them had cornmeal. I’m not sure how they all managed to miss this key ingredient, but not to worry, I have fixed this little error, combined some elements from various copycat recipes already out there, and added a few insights of my own. The result? Pretty darn delicious and quite close to what I tried last night at Jim N Nicks. 





 

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
¾ cup cornmeal
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp melted butter flavored shortening 
1 egg
¾ cup buttermilk 
½ tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Yield: About 2 dozen 

Directions:

1. Grease muffin tins.
2. Position an oven rack in the center.
3. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
4. Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
5. In a separate bowl (but like actually) mix melted shortening, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. 


6. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients just until well combined.
7. Add in cheese and mix lightly. Be careful not to over-mix. 


8. Put between 1 ½ and 2 tbsp batter in each muffin tin.
9. Bake for 14-15 minutes. 

10. Let cool and enjoy! 


Recreate the things you love, and when in doubt, bake!

<3 Dena

2 comments:

  1. There is no corn meal in Jim 'N Nick's Cheese Biscuits. You can buy their mix and it has bleached wheat flour, sugar, leavening, salt, baking soda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dough was super dry. I am making them in small batches so I can remedy this. Not only is the texture off, the taste is missing something.

    ReplyDelete