Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rachey’s Birthday Cake


Rachey’s Birthday Cake: Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Icing, Kit Kats, and M&M's

As promised, here is another birthday cake post, and one in which I will actually be able to tell you how I made the cake. In my birthday cake consultations I ask my friends a variety of questions, two of which are always “What’s your favorite dessert?” and “What’s your favorite candy?” Following these steps, I usually decide to base my cake off of one of these answers. In the case of my dear friend Rachey, I based the cake off of both, and also added an extra surprise that I knew she would love. She said her favorite dessert was flourless chocolate cake and her favorite candies were Kit Kat bars and M&M's. As an avid Pinterester, I had seen a picture of a cake with Kit Kats around the outside and had been wanting to try doing that anyway. Though I had not made a flourless chocolate cake before, I knew that wouldn’t be a problem. I decided to use chocolate chip cookie dough icing, because Rachey and I share a love for chocolate chip cookie dough. Finally, I decided to top this epic cake off with M&M's. LOTS of M&M's. Shoutout to Lauren for helping me with the icing and decoration of this cake, her help is probably the reason the cake did not end up looking like a total mess :-) For more specifics on how you can recreate this masterpiece, along with process pictures, all you have to do is click the “Read More” button below!





1. Follow this recipe for flourless chocolate cake, ignoring the part about the glaze:
http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/dessertsandsweets/r/flourlessgfcake.htm





2. Let cake cool

3. Make the cookie dough icing:

Mix the following ingredients in order, using an electric mixer if possible:

¾ cup (1.5 sticks) softened butter

½ cup flour

1 ½ cups packed brown sugar

2 ½ cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup milk

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla


1 cup semisweet chocolate chips


4. Ice the cake

5. Stick Kit Kats to the outside, using leftover icing as adhesive. One bag of the individually wrapped Kit Kats should be just enough for this.



6. Top with M&M's.
7. Lauren is a perfectionist and felt the need to cover the parts of the Kit Kat bars that were still showing with butterscotch chips. This is arguably unnecessary but also awesome if you want to do it.
8. Finish by tying a bow around the cake using a pretty ribbon. (Technically optional but not really)


 Get crazy with cake and when in doubt, bake!
<3 Dena


1 comment:

  1. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks. bakery searcy ar

    ReplyDelete