Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Thin Mint Brownies

Thin Mint Brownies
 
 
 

As you may or may not know, this is a very special season. Valentine's day? No. Lent? Um okay, but not what I'm getting at. The end of winter? Well yes, thank goodness, but not quite. The season to which I am referring is Girl Scout cookie season. Yes, this is the season during which, for only $3.50, you can buy a box of the chewy or crunchy deliciousness that only an adorable little girl with badges on her vest can sell to you. A long time ago, I too was a girl scout, and I love the fact that somehow me eating cookies can help such a worthwhile cause. (P.S. if you want cookies and don't know where to buy them, here's a link where you can enter your zip code and find a girl scout cookie sale near you! Girl Scout Cookie Locator )





According to the Girl Scout cookie website, Thin Mints continue to be the most popular seller, and it is not hard to see why. Whether plain, frozen, or dipped in vanilla ice cream, thin mints are the perfect dose of minty, chocolaty goodness. Unfortunately for me, I gave up snacking for Lent this year (If you recall, last year it was sweets. That was a dark period of my life). So, since I still could not say no to the cute little brownie scout offering me a box, I decided to take them and turn them into a baked good, one that truly reflects the culture of Girl Scouts--a brownie.

These brownies are a perfect blend of chocolate, mint, and a hint of amaretto that I felt really let the cookie crumbles stand out against the brownie base. Also, miraculously, these brownies came out of the pan as intact, picturesque squares. I'm claiming it as some sort of Girl Scout voodoo, but I'm not complaining. This was my first time completely innovating a brownie base without any sort of proportional guidance, so I'm glad that I can mark this one as a shining success. Make these. Support a girl scout. Eat chocolate. #lifeplan

Thin Mint Brownies:

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 eggs
1/4 cup amaretto (or other almond liquer)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk (I used light vanilla soy milk)
1/2 package thin mint cookies, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13" pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well-mixed.
3. In another mixing bowl, beat the three eggs. Add melted butter, both sugars, amaretto, and milk and stir well.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, and stir until combined and flour is fully incorporated. Add thin mint pieces and chocolate chips, and mix until spread throughout.
Om nom nom batter



5. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread so that it evenly covers the entire pan.
Feel free to stop the process here...


6. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes (mine took 35) until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean, but somewhat sticky.


7. Let cool, cut into squares, and devour.
Delishhhhh


Oh. My. Yum. These disappeared so quickly, I may have to buy more girl scout cookies just to meet the demand. Brownies and charity--what a perfect combination. Remember to support the girl scouts in your life, and when in doubt, bake!

<3 Lauren

1 comment: