Sunday, April 7, 2013

Emily's Birthday Cake

 
Emily’s Birthday Cake: A Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownie Layer and a Nutellla Cheesecake Brownie Layer with Cream Cheese Icing in between, covered in 3 Musketeers Fudge

 


In this post I will disclose the details of perhaps the most intense birthday cake I have made to date. When I asked my friend Emily about some of her favorite desserts and candies she gave me lots of ideas. So naturally I decided to use all of them in her cake. She listed off cheesecake, brownies, Kit Kats, and 3 Musketeers. At first I didn’t exactly know how I was going to incorporate all of these things into one cake. I thought of making cheesecake with a brownie crust, but then realized that might be difficult to layer with other things. I ultimately decided to make cheesecake brownie layers because I felt more confident that they would be structurally sound. Pretty quickly I knew I would make fudge with the 3 Musketeers because technically you can make fudge by melting together chocolate chips and marshmallows, so I knew a marshmallow-based candy would make a great fudge. And to make sure the cheesecake component stood out in the cake, I put cream cheese icing between the cheesecake brownie layers. Next I had to make sure the two cake layers were not the same, (because let’s face it, that would be unacceptable). So, I mixed Nutella into one and put Kit Kat pieces in the other. After lots of brainstorming, I ended up with a cake that was awesome, delicious, and super fun to make!

Here’s how you can make this cake!:


*Brownie layers*

1) Mix these ingredients to make batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 eggs
1/4 cup amaretto
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk (I used light vanilla soy milk)
1/2 cup chocolate chips



2) Split batter evenly between 2 bowls

3) Chop 10 miniature Kit Kat bars and mix into one of the bowls.



4) Mix ½ a cup of Nutella into the other bowl.


*Cheesecake batter*
5) Set aside bowls of brownie batter and  mix the following ingredients using an electric mixer

4 oz cream cheese softened
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp flour
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup sugar
 
6)  In 2 9-inch cake pans lined with parchment paper, layer cheesecake batter and brownie batter (use Kit Kat brownie batter in one pan and Nutella brownie batter in another.)




7) Bake at 350 for 22 minutes.
8) Let cool for at least an hour.
9) Mix the following ingredients with an electric mixer to make cream cheese icing:

4 oz softened cream cheese
4 tbsp (1/2 stick of butter) softened
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

10) Remove one brownie layer from pan and spread all of the cream cheese icing on top.







11) Remove other layer and place on top of the layer you just iced.

12) Set aside and make 3 musketeers fudge topping
*3 Musketeers Fudge*
13) In a saucepan on low heat, melt together the following ingredients:

12 miniature 3 musketeers bars
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
most of a 15 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (12 oz approximately)

14) Once melted together well, pour over cake

15) Press evenly over cake using a spatula.

 16) Top with 3 Musketeers and Kit Kats as pictured or however you want.

17) Let cool in the refrigerator for about half an hour





Gather many friends, eat this cake (it's a lot), and when in doubt, bake! 

<3 Dena

No comments:

Post a Comment