Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Zaid's Reese's and Kit Kat Birthday Cake

Zaid's Reese's and Kit Kat Birthday Cake




In making a birthday cake for my wonderful friend Zaid, I was faced with yet another new challenge. Zaid said his favorite candies were Reese’s and Kit Kats. I struggled with how I could make the best possible cake for him while still making it unique from the Reese’s cake I made for Lindsay and the cake I made for Rachel that was surrounded by Kit Kats. I also faced the challenge of being a little low on peanut butter when I was making this cake. I had plenty for the peanut butter blondies, but then only had about half a cup when I needed to make the icing, not to mention the fact that I had no powdered sugar. So, partially due to my efforts at uniqueness, and partially due to necessity, I ended up with a totally new cake that got the best reviews of any so far.


Rather than swirling peanut butter blondies and chocolate cake batter like I did for Lindsay’s cake, I did one peanut butter blondie layer and one chocolate cake layer (same recipes as Lindsay’s Reese’s cake).
 
My peanut butter icing, which was composed of peanut butter, butter, sour cream, and brown sugar, actually turned out pretty well!

 
The Kit Kats around the side of the Rachey’s cake were just too cool and I couldn’t think of any possible better way to incorporate them into the cake, so that part stuck.


To finish this cake off, I melted Reese’s and then topped it with chopped Reese’s.

Once again, Lauren was super helpful in the decoration process. This cake and many other aspects of my life would probably be a mess without my bestie.

Zaid’s cake got devoured his party, so I guess I’ll have to make another soon :-)


Keep calm, eat cake, and when in doubt, bake!

<3 Dena

No comments:

Post a Comment