Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chai Blondies with Chocolate Salted Caramel Filling

Chai Blondies with Chocolate Salted Caramel Filling




I just love the flavor of chai tea. Whether's it's in my ever-favorite soy chai latte at Starbucks or used in baking, the unique spice mix always puts a smile on my face. Recently, I've started buying chai concentrate. Oregon Chai makes a great sugar free (and calorie free!) concentrate that is great for making chai tea lattes at home for a fraction of the calories and dollars of a Starbucks chai tea latte. Though, just as a forewarning, low cal wasn't exactly my aim in this recipe. Still, I think the use of chai concentrate in baking is a really fun and easy way to add amazing flavor to your baked goods! Here's how I incorporated chai concentrate into my baking for the first time!


Ingredients:

Batter:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter melted

2 tbsp of oil

1 egg

1/2 cup chai concentrate

1 tsp vanilla

1 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt


Filling:

12 Goetze's caramel creams, cut into fourths

1/2 cup chocolate chips


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan

3. Mix batter ingredients by first combining liquid ingredients and then gradually adding dry ingredients

4. Once well combined, pour about half of the batter into the pan

5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and caramel cream candy pieces over the batter in the pan

6. Pour the rest of the batter over the chocolate chips and caramel cream candy pieces

7. Bake for 20-25 minutes

8. Enjoy!


Next time you're at the grocery store, look around and think about what unique ingredients you can use to make baking even more fun and exciting!


...and when in doubt, bake!

<3 Dena



2 comments:

  1. I love chai spice!! When I was in India I drank a cup of authentic chai tea every morning and managed to bring some home with me. You can also make your own with pure spices like cinnamon; cardamom; star anise; cloves; nutmeg etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try making my own chai! I think I already have all of the spices except the star anise.

    ReplyDelete